Monday, 22 February 2010

email i sent to the local schools

My name is Lee Nevitt. In 2007 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and after lengthy investigation a complication related to it called Neuropathy. My main goal is to try and educate and inform the public of Diabetes and its complications based on my experiences. I am especially passionate about increasing the amount of support for younger people and parents who have children with Diabetes.

I am writing to ask if it would be possible to meet someone to discuss how I could help in your school by doing a talk or holding an awareness event, or if you have any ideas on how you could help raise awareness and possibly help prevent diabetes in young people. I believe that creating awareness with pupils at a young age is key to help preventing the onset in the future.

There are many misconceptions that are associated with diabetes, for example the myth that you get type 1 diabetes by eating too many sweets, the truth is there is still no explanation for type 1 Diabetes and the research is ongoing.

I work closely with Diabetes UK  attending various support groups, and have been invited to attend a Parliamentary Group for diabetes on February 23rd due to a project I have been involved with NHS Diabetes that could help to steer the way forward for the treatment of patients with this condition.  I am also fortunate enough to have a documentary being made about my condition and its complications. I have a blog which I started when I was tirst diagnosed and have been in a men’s health magazine telling my story. I am also aiming to increase awareness via a number of charity events starting with a sponsored wheel chair ride from Hengistbury Head to Sandbanks on June the 19th of which all donations will go towards various diabetes related organisations.


I have been CRB checked but am willing to complete any check that you require. I have a great relationship with Bournemouth Hospital who have also said they would be willing to offer any support.



Please feel free to take a look at my blog:  http://diabetes-and-neuropathy.blogspot.com/

You can email me on nevittlee@yahoo.com
or contact me by mobile on 07525 419531.

Thank you very much or your time.

Regards
Lee Nevitt
66 Seaward Avenue
Southbourne
BH6 3SH

No comments: